Friday, November 4, 2011

Put On Your Work gLOVEs

What is it about time? Somehow it seems to constantly slip away...  From pre-school to baseball, motherhood completely encompasses my life. One thing I keep coming back to is the importance of my support system--my friendships.

Relationships are a gift, but they're work. Sometimes it's easier to let the things of life get in the way than invest the time and work necessary to maintain them.

Last week, as I was cleaning out my front flower bed, I began to think about the many wonderful friendships I possess. As I removed last season's dead plants, dug up the many weedy invaders, and prepared the soil for new plantings, I couldn't help but compare this muddy work with the groundwork of friendship.

Just like the seasons, relationships change. Whether it's distance, different interests, or having children, good friends come and good friends go. I have found that there are times when I need to either prune or remove the 'dead' from my life. Other times I simply want to enjoy and foster the new seedlings that are developing. In either the case, work is required.

Then there's the constant battle with weeds. Similar in relationships, some weed-like issues are small and easy to to pull up, while those that fester tend to grow into big, tall, prickly messes. No matter the situation, all weeds are a nuisance. Even the weeds with the cute, dainty flowers need to go!

One thing's for certain, when facing any type of yard work wearing gloves is best. The same goes for relationships. When we put on our gLOVEs, we keep LOVE at the forefront and our hands clean from the mire of sin. With our gLOVEs in place, we can face the weeds in our relationships without the prickles and the mess.

Ephesians 4: 2 says it perfectly, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." 

Join me outside as I continue to tackle the weeds, not only in my garden but in my relationships.


See Also:   Ephesians 5:1-2 & Colossians 3:12-15

No comments:

Post a Comment