Friday, November 4, 2011

Deuteronomy

Day Three's Search for Love


Three verses hit me today. They were exactly what I hoped to find.  No, rather they were exactly what I needed to find. And I guess that's why it took me a few days to get back to my 'love search.' God's timing is always perfect.


The first verse was found in Deuteronomy 7:6-9, and it reads: 
"For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. The LORD did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. But it was because the LORD loved you and kept the oath he swore to your ancestors that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments."


The second verse was in Deuteronomy 33:3
"Surely it is you who love the people; 
   all the holy ones are in your hand.
At your feet they all bow down,
   and from you receive instruction

The third verse was in Deuteronomy 33:12:
 “Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him,
   for he shields him all day long,
   and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders.”

Sometimes we simply need to know that we're God's treasured possession; that He's holding us in His hands, shielding us all day long, and resting us between his shoulders. 

My youngest son has two "loveys." One's called, "Happy," and the other's called "Troubled." The reason for their names is simple. One has a full smile stitched on his face and the other's smile is only sewn halfway. 

Needless to say, Happy is my son's treasured possession. Happy has gone with us on trips, to parks, to plays, and even to a baseball game where he was left in the bathroom and once again recovered in the Lost-and-Found. When my son sees Happy his face lights up. He delights in that little bunny and he loves to rock him, hug him, and kiss him constantly.

I can only imagine the way God sees us... the way God sees me.  

When I read the words, "the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders," I pictured a baby being cuddled by its father, or a child being held close in love. These words created a stir in my heart, and reminded me that I can rest secure. Why? Because my Father shields me all day long, and more than that, He holds me close to His heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment