Friday, November 4, 2011

Goin' Fishin'

Do you ever find yourself obsessing over a problem? I know I do. Lately my heart has been troubled by a dilemma that seems to constantly turn off and then back on. One day I'll be convinced that everything is okay, then the next time something is said or done, those same old feelings flare right back up. I honestly find myself unsure about how to handle the situation.

As I was praying about it, the Lord quickened my mind to one of my favorite verses, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7). I don't know about you, but this is one of those verses that makes me want to wipe my brow and say, "Whew!"

It reminds me of when I was a child spending the weekend at our family's lake house. My dad would take me out onto the boat dock, bait the hook on my fishing pole and hand it to me. He had taught me to not be shy when it came to casting out the line. In fact, he instructed me to pull that pole way back and send the lure out as far as my strength could push it.

This is what God says to do with our anxieties, worries, hurts, fears, problems, and troubles. Imagine yourself putting your problem in your hand, closing your fist tightly around it, lifting your arm up and pulling it back as far as it will go, and then hurling your problem as hard as you can straight at the Lord. Just picture that mess flying right up to heaven. Isn't it freeing knowing we don't have to keep everything bottled up inside? We can cast our cares on to God because he cares for us! And don't forget to see what you catch in return. You may just find that you end up with peace, grace, patience, endurance, and a little bit of character.

What are you doing today? Me? I'm goin' fishin'.


See also:  John 16:33 & James 1:2-5

No comments:

Post a Comment