Monday, March 27, 2017

An Excerpt from My Book -- From Marcus, With Love???

Marcus may be sexy, but he can also be heartless...


Below you'll find my two favorite segments with Marcus. The first one takes places over the phone and the second over the computer. I chose these two scenes because the first shows Marcus's motive (get Katie out) and the second his manipulation (keep Katie dangling).

I don't know about you, but the bad boys I came across in my past certainly knew how to string a girl along. One smile, one touch and our hearts were right back where they wanted them.

Enjoy...

SCENE ONE

==================================================================

“Hello?”

“Hey. It’s me.” Marcus’s emotionless voice felt like a stab to Katie’s heart. Her face immediately dropped.

“What do you want?”

“I just wanted to check on you. How’s the packing going?”

“It’s done.”

“You’re done?”

“I didn’t have that much to pack thanks to you.”

“I just thought you might be tired from your trip.”

“Nope,” she answered coolly.

“Well, I just wanted to make sure you’re OK.”

“I’m fine, and now I’d like to get back to what I was doing.”

“What are you doing?”

“That’s none of your business anymore.”

“Katie, don’t be like that. Is someone there with you?”

“Jay’s here.”

“I should’ve figured. That guy’s always around,” Marcus said with annoyance.

“I’m hanging up now.”

“Hey, wait. What about the movers? Where are you going?”

“I’m moving home. Where else would I go?” Katie fumed. “Ms. Fitzhugh has your house key and she’s going to let the movers in. Everything should be in perfect order when you and Amie get back from Vegas.”

“I didn’t mean it like that, and who told you Amie was with me?”

“No one had to tell me, Marcus! There’s no way you’re company would send you there. Come on!”

Marcus was stunned into silence.

“Goodbye, Marcus.”

“ … Bye.”

Katie could’ve sworn he sounded a bit sad. No, she quickly decided, just guilty.




SCENE TWO

==================================================================

Katie was beginning to savor her alone time in the morning. She loved the simple things like heading downstairs in her pajamas and drinking coffee on the back porch. This morning was no different from the others until she decided to check her email.
Katie firmly set her mind to not get upset if Marcus hadn’t written. Humorously, his was the first email she spotted. She shook her head in amazement. “Just when I decide to not care, he writes.” Despite the shock, she still couldn’t resist opening his message.
                 Hey Katie,
                I wanted to make sure you made it back in one
                piece. I checked with the movers and they said
                they’d completed the job. I guess everything went
                OK. I found some of your clothes in the dryer so
                I’ll mail them to your mom’s. I’ve been thinking
                about you and I hope you’re doing well. Everyone
                here says to tell you hi. Stay in touch.
                Marcus
Immediately Katie felt flustered. Marcus had been so heartless when he wanted her out of his life. Now he wants her to stay in touch? “What is he thinking?” She fumed. “If he thinks I’m going to crawl right back to him he’s crazy.”
Katie got up from the porch rocker and stormed into the kitchen. She slammed down her mug in the sink as the hot tears welled up in her eyes. Furiously she wiped them away and stared out the window towards the hills in the distance.
I lift my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth...  Katie couldn’t remember where she’d heard this, but the memory of the verse sent her thoughts heavenward.
“Jesus, what do I do? Marcus makes me so mad. I’m sick of feeling manipulated by him. I’m starting to see things differently and I can honestly say I don’t want him back in my life. But Lord, how do I repay him good when I can’t even trust him?”
The tears rolled over onto her cheeks. “Ugh! And I’m so sick of crying about this. God, please help me.”
Quietly, as if a voice were speaking from behind, Katie heard the word, “Love.”
“But I don’t want to love him anymore! I want to forgive him, but I don’t want to waste any more love on him.”
“Love.”
“OK, Lord. Have it Your way. But You’re going to have to show me what You want me to do.”
Katie headed out to the back porch to grab her Bible. She flipped to the concordance at the back and scanned through the “L” words until she found the word, “Love.” She looked through the list of shortened verses for something to jump out at her. Nothing grabbed Katie’s attention until her eyes hit one particular line: “L your neighbor and hate your enemies … Mt 5:43.”
Katie knew the ‘L’ signified love, but what intrigued her was the part about hating one’s enemies. She figured it wasn’t what the passage would say, but she wanted to read it anyway. Katie turned to the book of Matthew and read the reddened words of Jesus, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemies,’ but I tell you: Love your enemies and pray …” Katie stopped reading as the word pray practically jumped off the page.
“You want me to pray! Praying is how I can love Marcus. OK Lord, if that’s what You want I’ll give it my best.”
Katie closed her eyes, took and deep breath, and quieted her heart. “Lord, please be with Marcus. Help him see his need for You. Help him see that he needs a Savior. I pray You’ll also be with Amie. I pray You will … uh … I pray for Your love to rest on them both. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
Katie began to laugh. She knew her prayer was pretty basic, but she didn’t care. She did it, and that was all that mattered.
“Lord, what should I do about his email? Ignore it?” Something within her said no. “Then I’ll write him back, but Lord please protect me from his games.”
Several minutes later her response was complete.
                Marcus,
                The move went fine. It’s been great to be home.
                My brother is the reigning football star of
                last week’s game, and my mom’s business is
                booming. They seem happier than ever and it’s
                good to be back in their lives. Thanks for mailing
                back my clothes. I should’ve checked there, so
                sorry about that.  I wish you the absolute best in your life.
                God bless you,
                Katie

Katie felt good about her email. Weird, but good.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Order your very own copy by clicking here: Finding Forever

2 comments:

  1. I remember those times in my life, and just as Katie, when you turn to The Lord, he works everything to His Glory! Loved the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for you comment! We are blessed to serve a gracious and compassionate God! Hugs!!!

      Delete