Friday, July 1, 2016

Are you a Negative Nancy?



For the most part, I’m pretty positive. Lately, however, I’ve been struggling with being a “Negative Nancy.” I can’t even tell you why, but it’s something I’ve been noticing when I’m talking to others. Frankly, my words haven’t been the most positive or even kind. I’m not sure others have noticed this change in me, but I certainly have. And I don’t like it.



I keep telling myself, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all!” Yet even with this good, life advice, I find myself just wanting to gripe! And it’s bringing to mind the sadly hilarious “First World Problems” radio bit on the Kidd Kraddock Morning Show. Even as I type this, I realize how wrong my silly and selfish complaints are.



Last week, we had the privilege of hosting and housing four college-aged, Pine Cove camp counselors. The entire time they stayed with us, we enjoyed hearing of their adventures working at this traveling day camp. As we got to know these young men, one of the counselor’s testimonies really stuck with me. He shared that he had struggled with ungratefulness. He explained that he had spent most of his middle school days hating school and hating life. His mom, not liking what she was seeing, suggested the family start a “Blessing Book.” It might sound cheesy, but the way he described it truly touched my heart. Basically they took a composition notebook, decorated it, and then every night when they gathered for dinner, each person would share a “blessing” that happened that day.



The counselor proceeded to share that this family challenge ended up becoming a daily habit, and as a result it completely changed his attitude and his outlook on life.  



I don't know about you, but this “Negative Nancy” needs an attitude adjustment! Maybe you do, too?? If so, check out this cool blog I found on fighting against negativity - 10 Ways to Fight Negativity!



I also found this article in Psychology Today quite insightful:  How To Reduce Negativity



No matter the situation, that young man's mother was right! We have much to be thankful for! in fact our blessings could truly fill a book!

I don't know about you, but today I think I'll  head to the store and get myself a composition book and some craft supplies! It's time for our family to have our own "Blessing Book." 


No comments:

Post a Comment