Thursday, June 16, 2016

This = Love



“You Won’t Feel a Thing…”  I've listened to this song a lot this week. Although it was written and performed by a band that most likely does not know the Lord (UK's, The Script), this song screams to me of God's LOVE, His sacrifice, His willingness to take on the pain, the shame, and the punishment for my sin.



It also reminds me of the Disciples, and of Paul, who each worked tirelessly to tell the world about the risen Messiah. Sadly, these mighty heroes of the faith died for what they believed. The only disciple to not be cruelly martyred was John (who was exiled to the Greek island of Patmos and died of natural causes).



·         Peter was crucified upside down.

·         Paul was stoned and left for dead (see Acts 14) and then years later was beheaded.

·         Andrew was crucified.

·         Philip was crucified by a Roman proconsul simply because Philip had led the proconsul’s wife to faith in Christ!

·         Matthew (the tax collector) was stabbed to death.

·         James (son of Zebedee) was killed by the sword (see Acts 12).

·         Simon (the Zealot) was crucified.

·         Matthias (who replaced Judas) was burned to death.

·         Bartholomew, who’s exact cause of martyrdom is not clear, but is thought to have been skinned alive and then beheaded. YIKES!

·         Thomas (the doubter) was killed by a spear.

·         James (son of Alphaeus) was stoned and clubbed to death.

·         Jude was crucified.






So, with all that Jesus endured (as well as these amazing men!) in mind, read the lyrics below, download the song, and reflect on what was done for you and for your freedom.



“I tell you the truth, those who listen to My message and believe in God who sent Me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life…”  John 5:24



“For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Romans 6:23




You Won't Feel a Thing

By: The Script


I've been kicked right down
I've been spat in the face
I've been pulled, weighed down
To the lowest place
I've been lied to, shamed
I have been disgraced
Been ex-communicated from every holy place
I've been beat up and robbed
I've been left for dead
For the way I look
For the things I said



When trouble thinks it's found us
The world falls down around us
I promise baby you won't ever
You won't ever feel a thing



'Cause I will take it on the chin
Eh, for you
So lay your cuts and bruises over my skin
I promise you won't feel a thing, no
'Cause everything the world could throw
I'll stand in front, I'll take the blow for you.
For you.



I've been cleared on the street
I've been left in the cold
Had my dreams held up
Had them shot full of holes
I've been laughed at, burnt, beat and butt of the joke
I've been lit up in flames
I have gone down in smoke
I've been stabbed in the back
While they promised the earth
Tried to keep my head high
For all I am worth



Outside our double glazing
I know a war is raging
I promise baby you won't ever
You won't ever feel a thing



'Cause I will take it on the chin
Eh, for you
So lay your cuts and bruises over my skin
I promise you won't feel a thing, no
'Cause everything the world could throw
I'll stand in front, I'll take the blow for you.
For you.


And if I fall here
At least you know my dear that I would die for you
Promise you won't ever feel a thing
And if I fall here
At least you know my dear that I would die for you
Promise you won't ever feel a thing



'Cause I will take it on the chin
Eh, for you
So lay your cuts and bruises over my skin
I promise you won't feel a thing, no
'Cause everything the world could throw
I'll stand in front, I'll take the blow for you.
For you.



Yeah everything the world could throw
I'll take the sticks, I'll take the stones for you
For you

#TheScript



Songwriters: ANDREW FRAMPTON, STEPHEN KIPNER, DANIEL O'DONOGHUE, GLEN POWER, BENJAMIN SARGEANT, MARK SHEEHAN, WRITERS UNKNOWN

© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., Universal Music Publishing Group

For non-commercial use only.




No comments:

Post a Comment